Sunday, May 12, 2013

Better than a Birthday

As I reflected on the many kindnesses extended to me on Mother's Day this year, I thought, "This is better than a birthday!" Let me explain.
Infertiles dread Mother's Day more than anything except their period. Mother's Day is usually a lonely, painful day.
Birthdays are days when people feel obligated to remember you and give you gifts.
Mother's Day is not typically a happy day for me or a day when I receive gifts. This year, so many people sent me notes telling me that they were thinking of me or praying for me. They wrote encouraging words and expressed their love and support. A five-year-old boy in the class I teach at church drew me a card with reindeer on it and gave me a bag of candy. My friend expressed her love and admiration for me in front of everyone at church. I received many hugs. My mother, mother-in-law and father-in-law gave me gifts. None of these people were obligated to think of me or to give me gifts today. I felt much more loved today than I think I ever have on a birthday! It meant so much more to me than the kindnesses I receive on my birthday, too, because people were thinking of me in my time of pain. I feel so very blessed to have such loving, wonderful people in my life. If it weren't for YOU, I wouldn't survive Mother's Day, or any other day of the year, as an infertile. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you notice blessings and love. You're much more than an infertile - you're divine!

    ReplyDelete