Saturday, March 5, 2011

Insensitive Comments

A common conversation among women dealing with infertility is the insensitive comments that people make. It's painful and sometimes makes you want to just snap back at the person and say, "You have no idea what I'm going through!" We all get those. I realized recently that many of the things that I try to tell myself to make myself feel better about this trial are even worse. Imagine if someone made the following comments to you after you told them that you're dealing with infertility:
"You have an awesome job and a wonderful, supportive husband. You should be more grateful for what you have and not so focused on what you don't have." 
"Being a mom is hard! You probably just aren't ready or strong enough for that challenge yet."
 "You have all of this time to enjoy being with your husband, just the two of you. You're financially well-off and you have freedom that you'll lose once you become parents. Enjoy it while it lasts and stop complaining!"
"You've never had a miscarriage. There are lots of women who struggle with infertility a LOT longer than you have. They even have several miscarriages. You don't have it that bad." 
I would want to smack someone who said those things to me! Yet I'm the one saying them to myself. I didn't even realize how mean they sounded until recently. I'm glad that I did so that I can stop being so rude and insensitive!

No comments:

Post a Comment