Saturday, March 5, 2011

Adoption

I am an English tutor for a woman named Fatuma who is from Somalia. I have been going to her home twice a week for over a year now. Whenever I go to her home, three of her grandchildren are there. I have developed a great relationship with these three grandchildren, since I see them about twice a week. They are adorable and very distracting from our lessons. :) The other day when I knocked on the door, Halima, her granddaugher, called out, "Who's there?" When I answered, "Rachel!" She yelled out, "Yaaaaay!" and threw open the door and gave me a huge hug and just hung on to me for awhile. I love that moment.
There are all kinds of feelings that you have when you're around children and babies when you're dealing with infertility. Whenever I'm with these children, I just want to hold them in my lap. I yearn to touch them and hug them and cuddle with them. These children are all about that. They love the cuddling, too, and it's one of the highlights of my visits with Fatuma. I often think about my life if I could adopt them. I don't wish any harm to their parents, but if you've seen the movie Raising Arizona, you'd understand that sometimes women dealing with infertility just want to steal babies! Well, I dream about being a mother to these children. I know that I would love them with my entire heart. I think that everyone who considers adoption wonders if they could really love the child as if it were their own. I have wondered that for a long time. I am now convinced that I could.  Not that I'm opening the door to adoption, but it's comforting to know that I wouldn't have to worry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment