Saturday, June 2, 2012

Decisions, decisions

So, Dr. Stanford didn't meet his deadline. I found out yesterday that I'm not pregnant - the same day that one of my close friends had her baby. It was a rough day. So now I have to make a decision. I can:
a) continue doing HCG injections for the next several months. In my last appointment with Dr. Stanford he told me about "optimized cycles," where everything is right for me to get pregnant. On average, a woman will get pregnant within 6-9 optimized cycles. In the past 15 months I have been seeing Dr. Stanford, I haven't even had one. So, based on my track record, how many years will it take for me to have 6? Dr. Stanford wants to double the dosage on my HCG injections next time, so he expects next month to be an optimized cycle. But he's been saying that for over a year now.
OR
b) do surgery to look for endometriosis. I have never had any symptoms of endometriosis, but some women who have it don't have any symptoms. Dr. Stanford said 50% of women have it. This is the only other possible explanation for my infertility.
Neither option sounds very promising or appealing. So, I'm not really inclined one way or another. I'd love to hear what you think. Cast your votes in the comments section! Thanks! 

3 comments:

  1. I'll save my voting for November. This is definitely a decision for you, Dave and the Lord. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel--
    That's a really hard decision. Remember the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. My vote would be for the surgery. But Katy is right--it's between you and Dave and the Lord. Keep us posted!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Katy. And Katie. Wise words. As a side note, wouldn't you say one of the biggest symptoms of endo is infertility? With that said I would probably vote b, but only because you asked. Love you!

    ReplyDelete