Sunday, October 21, 2012

Humiliating

Infertility is often humiliating. A few examples:

A woman in my support group is an attorney. When she was in court recently, she had to interrupt what was happening to tell the judge that she would not be able to continue because she was miscarrying. She cried what she calls "the ugly cry" while everyone around her decided what to do about the case.

Another friend from the support group was at a family gathering. A pregnancy announcement was made, and since everyone in her family knows about her infertility, all eyes were instantly on her. She burst into tears and ran from the room.

Today there was an unusual amount of adorable children in front of and behind us at church. All of a sudden I started losing it. I didn't have the foresight to grab my keys and drive home. Instead, I spent most of the meeting hiding in a bathroom stall, silently sobbing. When I finally calmed down enough to leave my  bathroom stall, it was obvious that I had been crying. Thankfully, no one said anything to me about it.

1 comment:

  1. So many hard experiences! I'm sorry you had a rough day today. :(

    ReplyDelete