Friday, March 11, 2011

9-month calendar

They should market a 9-month calendar to infertile women. For the past several years, I have been living on a 9-month calendar. I can't plan anything beyond that because I might get pregnant and then my entire life would change. Today at work we were discussing plans for our organization one year, two years, and three years into the future. I kept thinking to myself, "I might be at home with a baby when that happens. But, I probably won't." Our family is planning a big vacation for next year. I don't know how to plan for it because what if I'm pregnant and really sick at that time? Would I be able to go?
I think of the opportunities that I have missed by living on a 9-month calendar. I could have finished a master's degree (or two) during that time, but why start a program if you're going to get pregnant and possibly have to drop out? Dave and I could have gone on some sort of international adventure before settling down and buying a house and getting "real" jobs. Instead, we stayed put with the thought that in case I were to get pregnant, we wouldn't want to be abroad at that time!
I'd like to live on a longer calendar, but what if this month is the month and 9 months from now our little bundle of joy arrives and changes our lives forever?

4 comments:

  1. Wow you're right.
    Thanks for using that waiting time for good. You both have done wonderful things during those years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 9 month calendar drives me crazy, too. I think we just have to keep living, and if pregnancy comes, all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same thing today--my sister asked me to babysit for her on Saturday, August 6th. My first thought, "I might be pregnant by then." But I still agreed to do it for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I did this for about 3 years. It was so hard to plan anything because "what if" I am pregnant at that time. One good thing I learned from it is if I have a goal or something I want to do I try to get right on it rather than waiting just in case something comes up. It's easier said than done, but I try to do things and then if something comes up in the meantime (whatever it is) I will deal with it.

    I hope you do have something exciting to deal with very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete